These vegan gingerbread cupcakes are moist, sticky and perfectly spiced to make a delicious Christmassy treat. They can easily be made gluten-free too!
Christmas + desserts = gingerbread everything. Am I right?
I’m sure I’m not alone when I say that I absolutely love gingerbread and everything spiced. Especially around the festive period. So today I’m sharing one of my favourite gingery recipes.
My love of gingerbread (and ginger in general) began in December a few years ago. On a snowy winter day when I was incredibly ill and bored. My friend found out I was feeling sorry for myself and came over with a gingerbread house kit in hand to help cheer me up.
We worked on that for the rest of the night and it was a lot harder than the pros make it look, let me tell you that. But the end result was beautiful and definitely worth it.
Even though we didn’t actually eat the gingerbread house (we broke it into pieces and stored it in Tupperware boxes for at LEAST 6 months after), the activity totally lifted my spirits and put me in a festive mood.
So I’ve correlated festive cheer and gingerbread together ever since.
These gingerbread cupcakes are the perfect vegan treat
Gingerbread houses are fun and great but they’re not the only dessert you can make with ginger. I’ve been loving adding the Christmassy spice to absolutely everything lately, now that we’re back into the winter months (does winter ever really end if you’re in the UK?) and Christmas is fast approaching.
Gingerbread hot chocolates, gingerbread flavoured cookies, and my latest creation… these vegan gingerbread cupcakes.
The cupcakes can easily be made gluten-free by simply switching regular flour for gluten-free flour!
They are also sweetened with brown sugar rather than white, which gives them the moist, dense texture that gingerbread is so well-known for. This makes them a perfect match for the sweet and fluffy salted caramel buttercream icing they’re topped with.
I even found some super cute gingerbread men cake decorations to complete the look. I bought them at my local bargain store but I’ve seen some cool ones on Amazon too!
Hopefully this vegan gingerbread cupcake recipe will help to spread some Christmas cheer in your life too. Let me know what you think!
A yummy, Christmassy vegan gingerbread cupcake recipe that celiacs can enjoy, too!
- 60 g Vegan butter, melted (¼ cup)
- 200 g Brown sugar (1 cup, packed)
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 220 g Gluten-free or regular plain flour (1+¾ cups)
- 1 Teaspoon Baking soda
- 2 Teaspoons Ground ginger
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- 240 ml Non-dairy milk (1 cup)
- 125 g Vegan butter (½ cup)
- 250 g Icing sugar (2 cups)
- 1 Tablespoon Non-dairy milk
- 1 Teaspoon salted caramel flavouring or vanilla
- A few candy decorations to top optional
Preheat oven to 180°C/ 350°F. Line a cupcake tin with 12 cases.
- Mix together the butter, sugar, vanilla and lemon juice in a bowl.
- Add the flour, baking soda, spices, and milk. Fold in, using a metal spoon, until smooth.
Divide the mixture into the cake cases and bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool completely.
- Prepare the icing by mixing the butter, sugar, milk and salted caramel flavouring together until smooth. Pipe or spoon icing onto the muffins. Add decorations and sprinkle with cinnamon if desired.
*These cupcakes will keep for 5-7 days in an airtight container. They can also be stored in the fridge for extra moistness.