Nice to meet you! I’m Chloe and I’m the face behind Baked By Clo.
I make easy vegan dessert recipes and try to include as much of a variety as possible so that everyone can enjoy a sweet treat now and again. That includes gluten-free, oil-free, low carb and occasionally healthy recipes!
If the phrase “vegan desserts” brings to mind cardboard cupcakes or soggy-bottomed pastries, I want to show you that it really is possible to make tasty vegan desserts with ease.
I try my best to use basic, cheap ingredients that most of you will find in your local supermarket, regardless of where you are in the world. I promise that you won’t find any fancy potions or powders listed here!
Why I Started Baked By Clo
When I first went vegan in 2017, I was surprised to find that more often than not, I was met by a negative reaction when I told people about my diet. I realised that a lot of people have the misconception that veganism is difficult, restrictive and boring.
I wanted to do my part to show others that eating plant-based doesn’t have to be dull or expensive. So I did what I knew best: I baked.
I’ve always baked for fun, ever since I was a child. And I was by no means a professional, but my cakes and other sweet treats were always well-received.
By simply learning a few egg and dairy replacements, I found that I could recreate the same desserts I’ve always made, but in a vegan-friendly way. And now, after a little practice, most people don’t even realise my cakes and other treats are vegan until I tell them!
To help get you started with your vegan baking journey, I created the ultimate vegan baking cheat sheet for you to print out and stick to your kitchen wall (if you’re that way inclined).
The sheet contains over 25 plant-based substitutions for traditional baking ingredients, plus a few simple recipes for buttermilk, caramel and whipped cream.
Some Random Fun Facts About Me
- I have always loved writing and dreamed of being an author when I was younger. I’d write my own “books”, complete with illustrations, and read them to my gran’s dog as a bedtime story. LOL. Although I never pursued my author dreams, my writing hobby helped a lot in the creation of Baked By Clo!
- I grew up in a small city in Scotland but in the last 10 years I have travelled to 27 countries- one for every year I’ve been alive! I especially love to travel on my own, and found it a great way to deal with the social anxiety that used to control my life. I sometimes write about my travels over on my other blog, Chloe Vs World.
- I’m a real cheapskate most of the time, and am always looking for ways to save money (for more travels!).
- I’ve worked in a variety of jobs over the years, including call centres, restaurants and child care, but never really felt truly fulfilled until I started blogging. I love creatively expressing myself while being able to help other people at the same time!
- I am a low-key hippy and love anything to do with spirituality, nature and self-development.
- I quit drinking alcohol and also deleted all of my personal social media in 2018. I did it to improve my mental health I can truly say I not miss either of them one bit.
- Despite my huge love for sweet treats, I do generally eat quite healthy. I was actually the biggest health freak before going vegan but am now a huge believer in balance and “TREAT YO’SELF”.
- Some of my favourite recipes on the blog are my 3 ingredient peanut butter fudge, double chocolate chip cookies and lemon drizzle cake.