Baked By Clo: Easy Vegan Desserts
Nice to meet you! I’m Chloe and I’m the author of Baked By Clo.
I make easy vegan dessert recipes and try to include as much of a variety as possible so that everyone can enjoy a sweet treat now and again.
If the phrase “vegan desserts” brings to mind cardboard cupcakes or soggy-bottomed pastries, I want to show you that it really is possible to make tasty vegan desserts with ease.
I try my best to use basic, cheap ingredients that most of you will find in your local supermarket, regardless of where you are in the world. I promise that you won’t find any fancy potions listed here!
Why I Started Baked By Clo
When I went vegan a few years ago, I was surprised to find that more often than not, I was met by a negative reaction when I told people about my diet. I realised that a lot of people have the misconception that veganism is difficult and boring.
I wanted to do my part to show others that eating plant-based doesn’t have to be dull or expensive. So I did what I knew best- I baked.
I’ve always baked for fun, ever since I was a child. And I was by no means a professional, but my cakes and other sweet treats were always well-received.
By simply learning a few egg and dairy replacements, I found that I could recreate the same desserts I’ve always made but in a vegan-friendly way. And now, after a little practice, most people don’t even realise my cakes and other treats are vegan until I tell them.
To help get you started with your vegan baking journey, I’ve created the ultimate vegan baking cheat sheet. Feel free to print it out and stick it to your kitchen wall!
The cheat sheet contains lots of plant-based substitutions for traditional baking ingredients, plus a few simple recipes for things like buttermilk, caramel and whipped cream.
Some Random Fun Facts About Me
- I have always been more of a writer than a talker and used to dream of being an author when I was younger. I would write my own “books”, complete with illustrations, and read them to my gran’s dog as a bedtime story, lol. Although I never pursued my author dreams, my writing hobby helped a lot in the creation of Baked By Clo.
- I was born in 1992. I grew up in a small city in Scotland but in the last 10 years, I have travelled to 28 countries- one for almost every year I’ve been alive! I especially love to travel on my own and found it a great way to deal with the social anxiety that used to control my life.
- Despite being a decent baker, my cooking skills are terrible! I am working on it but it just doesn’t come as naturally to me as baking does.
- I’ve worked in a variety of jobs over the years but never really felt truly fulfilled until I started blogging. I love creatively expressing myself while being able to help other people at the same time.
- I am a low-key hippy and love anything to do with spirituality, nature and self-development.
- Although I have a huge love for sweet treats, I’m actually quite the health enthusiast in my day-to-day life. Of course, I still believe in balance and treating yourself because I do NOT want to live a life without chocolate.
- Some of my favourite recipes on the blog are my macarons, pavlova, Biscoff cheesecake, and double chocolate cookies.