These vegan almond flour cookies are chewy, chocolatey and full of healthy fats. They make the perfect on-the-go, guilt-free snack.
Almond flour chocolate chip cookie recipe
As much as I love full-fat, high sugar desserts, I know they aren’t the best thing I can be feeding myself. So for two weeks this month, I decided to cut out all processed foods to give my gut a little break. Obviously, as someone who is borderline addicted to sugar, this was a huge challenge for me.
For the first two days, I felt amazing and told myself I would never eat sugar again (haha). I couldn’t believe how easy this was! But then I started getting majorly cranky and fantasised about cookies and chocolate 24/7… I don’t know about you, but the more I tell myself not to eat something, the more I think about it.
Healthy vegan cookies?
I didn’t want to crack quite so soon into my two-week health kick so I decided I’d bake something healthy instead. Something that would fulfil my sugar craving without putting me back to square one. I instantly remembered the healthy cookie recipe Zanna Van Dijk shared on her blog a few years back and I’m going to share this recipe with you today.
I used to make these cookies all the time when I first discovered healthy baking, waaayyy before I went vegan. They are so soft, sweet and chewy. And they will fill that cookie-shaped hole in your heart with good, wholesome ingredients.
I made some ever-so-slight changes to Zanna’s original recipe but they are just as delicious as I remember! I swear, they are the ultimate healthy comfort food. These vegan almond flour cookies are low in sugar, paleo-friendly and just all-round great for all of you health-conscious folk out there. Baking them is also super easy because you only need one bowl, so cleaning up afterwards is a breeze.
- 250 g Almond flour
- 6 Tablespoons Coconut oil or vegan butter melted
- 4 Tablespoons Agave nectar or maple syrup
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla essence
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking powder
- 100 g Dark chocolate chunks/chips
- Preheat oven to 200°C and line a tray with baking paper.
- Mix all ingredients, except the chocolate chunks, in a large bowl to form a soft dough.
- Fold in the chocolate chunks and divide the dough into 8-10 small balls.
- Press each ball onto the baking tray to form a small cookie shape. Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown.
- Leave to cool completely before enjoying!
If dough is too wet (this depends on what oil/butter you use) just add more almond flour to form a dough.