This easy vegan scone recipe will add an extra special touch to your next afternoon tea. The desiccated coconut adds texture to the soft and fluffy centre, and they taste incredible served with coconut whipped cream and jam!
I’m not going to lie. I couldn’t believe my eyes when this coconut vegan scone recipe turned out exactly how I’d envisioned… the very first time. No tweaks, no remakes. They were just… perfect. It was love at first sight, and I was shocked.
In fact, I was so shocked at how easy it is to make vegan scones that I wondered why they are so hard to find in cafes. I love gallivanting to different tea rooms and coffee shops around town with my dear granny. But since I went vegan, we’ve had to cut back on our afternoon tea trips because barely anywhere offers vegan baked goods in our small city. The one time I did find a place with vegan options, they served me an “afternoon tea” of a hummus sandwich and some Tesco value dark chocolate. It’s funny to tell people now but it was pretty awkward and sad at the time. *sheds fake tear*
With this easy vegan scone recipe though, there is no excuse! They are just as fluffy, just as soft and just as delicious as traditional scones. And I’m sure my granny will be so pleased to hear this because scones are her all time favourite sweet treat!
Coconut Vegan Scone Recipe
These scones have a special little twist- some desiccated coconut. This adds a little bit of texture to the dough to give it some oomph. And if you serve the scones with coconut whipped cream (recipe below), the flavour combo is TO DIE FOR. So good, I promise!
For this easy vegan scone recipe, these are the ingredients you’ll need:
- Self raising flour
- Vegan butter
- A pinch of salt
- Caster sugar
- Desiccated coconut
- Soy (or almond) milk
Yep. That’s all! These vegan coconut scones have only 6 ingredients! What’s not to love about that? Easy, peasy.
Looking for more baked goods? Try these:
I hope you love these vegan coconut scones as much as I do. If you make them, be sure to use #bakedbyclo so I can see!
- 225 g Self-raising flour
- 1/4 Teaspoon salt
- 50 g Vegan butter
- 50 g Caster sugar
- 50 g Desiccated coconut unsweetened
- 100-120 ml Soy or almond milk
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk refrigerated for at least 4 hours
- 80 g Icing sugar sieved
- 2 Teaspoons coconut flour
- Preheat oven to 220°C/ Gas 7 and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour and salt. Rub in the vegan butter completely to create a breadcrumb texture.
- Stir in the sugar and desiccated coconut.
- Add in the milk, a little at a time, and combine until it forms a stiff dough.
- Lightly flour your work surface and rolling pin, and roll the dough until it's around 2.5cm thick.
- Cut out your scones using a small cutter (or shot glass), and re-roll the remaining dough until it is all used up.
- Place the scones onto the baking tray and bake for 10 minutes until golden brown.
- While the scones are baking, prepare the coconut whipped cream:
- Scoop the solid part from the top of the coconut milk and place in a bowl. Keep the liquid part for another recipe or smoothie.
- Add the icing sugar and coconut flour into the bowl and gently whisk together to form a thick cream. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Leave scones to cool before cutting and serving with coconut cream and jam.
*This recipe yields 12 miniature scones. For bigger scones, use a large, circular cookie cutter to cut the dough. (note this will decrease the amount of scones you end up with) *Can be stored for up to 2 days in an airtight container